A lot is happening in your 20s and 30s. You’re finding out who you are, where you belong, building lifelong relationships, getting your first home, and beginning your career (at least, you’re trying to). It’s also time to start thinking more seriously about the future…of your skin! In your 20s, your skin begins to lose elasticity and show sun damage. EEK! And in your 30s, fine lines and wrinkles become noticeable. DOUBLE EEK!
Simply washing your face every now and then like you did in high school isn’t going to do the trick anymore. If you’re ready to get serious about your skincare routine, read on!
- Take off your makeup every night. Leaving makeup on can cause bacteria buildup and stretching of the pores. This is one step you absolutely don’t want to skip!
- Exfoliate. Removing dead skin cells (the ones that make your skin look dry and dull) helps your other products to penetrate the skin more deeply. We love the glo Therapeutics Daily Polishing Cleanser for every day exfoliation and deep cleaning. We have also found it does a fantastic job removing makeup (See #1)!
- Use SPF every day. Transformations Spa Director and Esthetician, Samantha Vandivier, weighed in on the subject. “This is the most important thing you can do for your skin at any age,” she says. “Sun exposure is the number one cause of aging.” So, lather on that sunscreen if want to keep your skin looking beautiful and wrinkle free, honey!
- Find your cleanser BFF. It might take some experimenting but finding the right cleanser is so important. If you haven’t already, now is the time to upgrade your grocery store beauty finds to professional skincare products. Many of the beautiful staff members of Transformations get their bright, glowing faces from glo Therapeutics Purifying Gel Cleanser because it cleanses the skin without stripping its natural moisture and it’s great for all skin types!
- Use products with retinol and glycolic acid. These two ingredients will be your little skincare superheroes in the battle against aging. The use of glycolic acid promotes a youthful appearance by removing dead skin cells (See #2) while retinol promotes healthy cell regeneration.
- Drink lots of water. Have you noticed how celebrities always have a water bottle in their hand? That’s because their nutritionists know that drinking water is one of the best things you can do for your body! It flushes out toxins, promotes weight loss, increases energy, and…drumroll… hydrates the skin! Our bodies are made up mostly of water and our skin is the largest organ of the body after all. Drinking water is a no brainer! See how much water you should drink according to Harvard Medical School.
- Find your magic serum. Serums are all the rage when it comes to anti-aging. That’s because they are very concentrated and pack a real skincare punch. Recently formulas are also more effective and less damaging than they ever have been. Take Renew Serum by glo Therapeutics for example. The salycilic acid is great for keeping acne at bay (which can still be an annoying problem in your 20s) while the glycolic is great for cell turnover, as we mentioned before.
- Take your vitamins. Use them and consume them! Put some lemon in your tea every morning to load up on Vitamin C. It will give your immune system a boost and help with collagen production and skin repair which is exactly what your 20 something year old skin needs! Take a good multi vitamin rich in B, D, K, and E! Product wise, we recommend the Skin Protecting Power Duo by glo Therapeutics.
- Moisturize. Finding the right moisturizer can actually be kind of tricky. You will really need to pay attention to your skin type when selecting the right one. We have an excellent skin type quiz you can take to find out which products may work best for you! Using eye creams is especially important as the skin in this area is thinner and more delicate. “It’s usually where people start to notice the first signs of aging,” Samantha Vandivier says. We think Cyto-luxe Eye Cream by glo Therapeutics is the queen of all eye creams.
- Find a good balance. Using too many products can overwhelm and irritate the skin. Consult with one of our skincare professionals to find a balance that works for you!
Call 317-882-1773 to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our estheticians.